Janet Blount Answers Your Questions About Her Career Exploration Workshop and Coaching For Parents
(1) What is Career Exploration?
Career exploration expands students’ horizons to include the world of work and career options. Learning about careers early helps students improve focus in school, see the correlation between academics and careers, and make intelligent choices that effect their future.
(2) Is elementary school too soon to begin career exploration / career awareness activities?
Elementary school is actually the ideal time for exploring careers. Exploration does not mean making career decisions. It means making decisions about career direction and educational goals. Early exploration helps students learn more about their own interests and attributes so they can base career decisions on concrete, realistic information.
The advantages of starting career exploration / career awareness activities in elementary school include:
- Exposing children to career paths they may not have otherwise considered.
- Understanding how they feel about various types of work, working conditions and work activities.
- Discovering the various post-high school education and training options and requirements.
- Being able to see the correlation between academics and future careers.
- Gaining improved focus for current activities.
(3) What are the benefits of your Career Day services?
As a principal or guidance counselor, you have a lot of other things on your plate, and most likely do not have an excess of time to devote to planning an impactful Career Day. I work with you to find out your specific needs and learn about your students. I then locate and secure a roster of appropriate and diverse speakers. Finally, I help the speakers lay out a dynamic framework for their presentations to ensure an unforgettable experience for your students.
(4) What are the benefits of integrating career exploration with school curriculum?
It’s easier to take in new information in a trickle, rather than a flood. When students are introduced to different careers organically, throughout the year, they can discover each one individually. Another important benefit is that students learn best when they understand the purpose of what they are learning. When they can see practical uses of the knowledge that they gain, the knowledge is easier for them to retain.
(5) What can parents do to help their children explore careers?
You can help your children to identify their interests and guide them to explore careers where they are most likely to be successful. Research shows that people who work in jobs that satisfy their interests tend to stay on the job longer, while being happier and more productive.
(6) What do parents learn in your Career Exploration Workshop?
The Career Exploration Workshop is a powerful experience that prepares for parents, grandparents and other caring adults to be career exploration advocates for the children they love.
These helpful two-hour workshops include:
- Ways to encourage career exploration
- Research options and helpful resources
- Answers to most-asked questions
- Tips to motivate children in a constructive manner
(7) Do you offer one-on-one-career coaching for parents?
Yes. We talk via phone or Zoom, where and I address your concerns, answer your questions, and provide insights for helping you explore the best career options for your child.
(8) What do you charge for your services?
Ready to take the next step in your child’s career exploration?